December 19, 2011

Beer Review: Newcastle Winter IPA

Greetings.

I thought I'd start off my beer reviews with the one beer that brought me back to this blog: Newcastle Winter IPA.


You see, I went into the local Harris Teeter after a gym workout, and saw that they had this beer in a six-pack.  I was immediately interested due to my previous personal love for Newcastle Brown Ale (that is, until I discovered the joy that are IPA's).

Add to the mix that I had previously seen this only in 12-packs, so it became a no brainer.

After having one or two at home, I became curious to see if they had done a fall/autumn version of a Newcastle brew.


Boy, did I miss out


Newcastle Werewolf.  Wow.


I never saw this beer in the local grocery store; had I seen it, I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat.


So, after drinking my six pack of Winter IPA over a couple of days, I decided that this past weekend I would hit the local Total Wine & More to see if they may have a single bottle of this lurking around the shelves.  I knew it was a long shot, considering that it was at least 6 weeks after Halloween, and that's usually the time that all of the fall/autumn/Oktoberfest beers are yanked off the shelves.

So, as I thought, I did not find the Newcastle Werewolf I was looking for, but I did find this, which I thought was a neat idea for a Thanksgiving beer:


Harpoon Grateful Harvest Cranberry Ale.


I will do a full review of this beer (with pictures of course) when I do the sampling.  It'll be either tomorrow or Wednesday evening depending on my 'schedule'.


Okay, now back to the original beer to review: Newcastle Winter IPA.


It was a decent beer.  It was a milder IPA than the ones I have seen/tasted before, but it had enough flavor to keep your attention without running you off from the overpowering alcohol that normally accompanies IPA.  I rated it 2.9 out of 5 on Rate Beer.


I would suggest trying it as a single if you can get your hands on it.

Thanks for reading, I'll be back tomorrow with another beer review!

No comments:

Post a Comment